What is it?
Army Profession Forum 2017 is a strategic leader forum that will explore ethical challenges to the Army Profession and ways to maintain trust within the Army and strengthen its essential characteristics. The forum will explain the biennial theme for fiscal year 2017-2018, “One Army, Indivisible.”
What is the Army doing?
- In an effort to streamline conferences and ensure time and cost efficiency, this year two forums are being held back-to-back — Army Profession Forum on Dec. 7 and Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) Forum on Dec. 8.
- Army senior leadership views the prevention of sexual harassment and sexual assault as a top priority and integral to living the Army Ethic. The Army periodically hosts the Army SHARP Senior Leader Summit (the most recent summit was in February 2015), with participation from two-star and above commanding generals, their command sergeants major and other senior military and civilian leaders. Forums of this nature provide senior leaders with the latest information on sexual violence prevention trends, updates and initiatives.
- The secretary of the Army affirmed the vision for an articulated Army Ethic and its relevance to Army civilian teammates at the November 2014 Senior Army Civilian Symposium at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C.
- The July 2014 inaugural Army Profession Symposium at West Point encouraged senior Army leaders to share their vision for the Army Ethic and inspire and motivate those within their organizations based on the shared identity of trusted Army professionals.
What continued efforts are planned for the future?
Perspectives gained from the forum’s discussions will inform senior Army leader guidance and messaging to successfully accomplish the Character Development study for all members of the Army team through ongoing training and education initiatives. The forum will also provide senior leaders with insight into the Army’s new prevention strategies and initiatives. Here, they can effectively exert their influence to ensure the success of the Army SHARP Program.
Why is this important to the Army?
The forums enable the Army to address opportunities to maintain and strengthen trust within the Army and with the American people.
- The Center for the Army Profession and Ethic (CAPE)
- U.S. Army Combined Arms Center
- U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command
- Army Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) Program
- Department of Defense Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office (SAPRO)
- One Army, Indivisible
- The Army Character Development Project
- Army Civilian Profession Training
- The Army Ethic
- America’s Army — Our Profession “Stand Strong”
- America’s Army — Our Profession
- Army Profession Annual Symposium 2015
- SECARMY Senior Civilian Army Profession Symposium
- CSA’s Army Profession Symposium 2014
- The Profession of Arms
- SHARP Program Improvement Forum
- SHARP Partnership with Academia
- ELITE SHARP Command Team Trainer